Friday, May 21, 2010

Running Like Mad Across the Paddock

Wind Speed : 20 knots Boat Speed: 6 knots Cloud Cover : 8/8 total cloud cover all day has kept the temperature down to bearable levels. Barometer: Just risen a couple of millibars.We are romping along again after a lull today that ended abruptly with the arrival of a cloud bank 15 minutes ago. The wind swung to the N abruptly and I scampered forward to retrieve the drifter sail and bring in the pole. A little unnerving as we have been having a glory run with lovely SE winds pushing us along at about 100 miles a day since passing through the Vanuatu island group. It has been great to make some serious miles on this, our longest and most vulnerable leg of the journey. Progress is good and we estimate we are about 900 miles from the boat passage in the Great Barrier Reef, our gateway to safety. It is all very encouraging but I for one still feel very vulnerable in our small boat on the big ocean. The focus is to sail as fast as possible and get as many miles under the keel to minimize exposure. Exposure is one ingredient of risk we may have a small level of control over. Life on board is going well and we are really performing as a crew now. An unlikely bunch of guys bonded by the need to survive. A few days ago I noticed we started having long conversations about a wide variety of subjects, such a trait of voyaging on small craft. Life is good and going well aboard the Bounty Boat. Dave Pryce / Quilter

6 comments:

jb said...

Jealousy, that's all I can say. You guys are doing what we all wish we could. I was out in my kayak for about 3 hours thinking about what you are doing. I am in Cape Breton, NS Canada watching and wishing I was there.

Anonymous said...

Good luck racing to the slot in the reef ahead. I'm watching your voyage keenly. And re Chris' compass fixation - seems to come with the territory. I notice that with bushwalkers who are new to the game: they spend too much time on the instrument & not enough time on the context! All the best, Ged

dave hanna said...

Dave Said
reading the blogs with interest, and tracking you on our map at work. I bet it feels a lifetime since you were back on atata island.
all the best dave and juls
raglan nz

Anonymous said...

Great progress guys well done; re the compass issue; just have it "malfunction" for a few hours while Chris is on watch! that should re-focus his mind! [why am I saying this? you won't read it until it's all over anyway!] Stay safe and fair winds Digit

Anonymous said...

@Stuart. What a horrible thing for someone to go through. I don't think I'd want to live if my daughter had to watch me go through it till I die. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Summary

Motor neurone disease often begins with weakness of the muscles of the hands or feet. Motor neurones are nerve cells that control the muscles of the trunk, limbs, speech, swallowing and breathing. Damage to these nerves causes muscle weakness and wasting. This leads to gradual paralysis, loss of speech, difficulty swallowing and eventual death from respiratory (breathing) failure.

SOME QUESTIONS...

1. How common is MND? How many people would get this out of 100 or 1000 people?

2. Is it what Christopher Reeves (super man) had?

3. Has any patterns been found to narrow down likely victims of MND

4. Are all organizations working to find a cure for MND working together?

5. Could other diseases related to MND or even if not related possibly be cured or researched if you had the most dedicated and latest technologies? What other diseases or disorders could your organization research.

6. Is there anything else you could tell me about MND?

7. Would your facility have an imagining machine that would recognize the secondary pruning period in the frontal cortex of the brain that all adolescents go through. BTW, I think all parents and adolescents should be aware of this.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/teenbrain/

Press on View the full program then go to the wiring of a teenage brain.

The reasons I ask is so that my daughter can draft letters with her school council to write to our Prim Minister and other health ministers to help you.

It's our young people who have the voice and they wont hold back in asking the questions. The government works for us and we have the power over them to speak without any privacy policy etc...

I'll do my best mate and just pull me up if I'm out of line!

Billy!

Patron of Sheffield Institute Foundation said...

Dear William, Your questions are so important, that you must receive technically correct answers, that I have asked Professor Pam Shaw Head of the Sheffield Institute and soon to be head of the new research center SITraN to answer them for you.Because of her work load she will get back to you later in the week, I have sent you a personal e-mail on this.
thanks for all your help.
Cheers Stuart