We just had our first knockdown about an hour ago. TBB was full of water with three crew bailing and one on the helm. We are still in gale conditions with 5-6 metre seas and 35 knots wind from the south east. I have dislocated my little toe during the knockdown - now OK but swollen and bruised.
We are needing to bail every 5-10 minutes as the waves continue to break in the cockpit. The watertight bulkhead is holding and morale on board is chipper! It was a tough night with heavy weather, pitch black and we had two close calls with reefs. We surfed at 15-20 knots between two reefs. The seas are bigger than they should be and we are all thinking there must be a weather system out there which is stirring up the sea state. We’ll continue on.
The Talisker Bounty Boat is a great boat and handling the conditions really well. We're heading due north to hopefully anchor in a sheltered position - if we can’t we will continue through Bligh's passage.